The WorldPost (The Washington Post)
Managing Editor, The WorldPost — New York, NY October 2017 – Present
- Led and transitioned our editorial team to our latest platform in a new partnership with The Washington Post and the Berggruen Institute.
- Manage the team and solicit, edit, publish and promote important voices on crucial global news topics on WashPost.
The Huffington Post
Managing Editor, The WorldPost — New York, NY January 2014 – October 2017
- Launched and grew The WorldPost, a partnership between HuffPost and the Berggruen Institute focused on global news, including original on-the-ground, authoritative and unexpected voices. We have 13 million monthly unique views.
- Assembled and led a team of editors to solicit, package and publish features and op-eds daily
- Edited, curated and ran the The WorldPost page daily, including building the top headlines and working with reporters to monitor and update developing stories. Managed page during major breaking news events such as the 2016 election, Brexit, Turkish coup attempt, Paris attacks and the emergence of ISIS.
- Recruited and supported a worldwide roster of bloggers and freelance contributors throughout the process of pitching, writing, editing, publishing and promotion, including notable figures such as Gordon Brown, Amal Clooney and Pico Iyer
- Repackaged pieces in multimedia-friendly ways by way of editing and producing videos and quote cards.
- Introduced new editorial and organizational standards for The WorldPost staff
- Worked with tech team and developers to refine website and met with lawyers to build freelance contracts
Editorial Intern, HuffPost Politics —Washington, DC
September 2013-December 2013
- Reported and blogged on the latest politics stories, including domestic shootings and national security
- Contributed to breaking news live blogs and researched, assisted and collaborated with reporters on enterprise pieces
- Covered the 2013 government shutdown and the Syrian crisis from the Hill
The Washington Post
Metro Intern — Washington, DC January 2013 – May 2013
- Wrote feature stories and blog posts on local issues including education, crime, religion and politics. Also wrote obits.
- Successfully pitched and wrote a Saturday Metro cover story on the experience of Muslim immigrant youth in the DC area following the Boston Marathon bombings and served as a stringer during Obama’s second presidential inauguration
McClatchy Washington Bureau June 2012 – August 2012
Editorial Intern — Washington, DC
- Produced daily news, blog posts and enterprise stories on topics ranging from congressional hearings on American Muslim radicalization and facial recognition technology to East African Asian refugees and veteran homelessness
- Pitched and published stories for syndication by several McClatchy papers including the Miami Herald. Also covered the 2012 International AIDS Conference and translated Arabic documents for Syria conflict coverage
American Islamic Congress June 2010 – August 2010
Communications/Media Intern — Boston, MA
- Produced and published a bi-weekly Middle Eastern civil rights e-newsletter in English, Arabic and Farsi
- Created and monitored a Twitter account to follow events and bloggers in the Middle East in the lead-up to the Arab Spring
American University — Washington, DC August 2009 – May 2013 Bachelor of Arts in Journalism; double minor in International Studies and Arabic
American University Honors Program; GPA: 3.93; Summa Cum Laude graduate
Awards: Dean’s List: 2009-2013
Kappa Tau Alpha member
Winner of Writer As Witness university writing competition for essay about Kenya
Activities: Lifestyle editor of AmWord (student newsmagazine); Food and travel columnist for AmWord
Contributor to The Eagle (student newspaper)
President of Project Nur (Muslim cultural organization)
Organizing team for Model United Nations crisis committee press corps
China-US Exchange Foundation journalism fellow
Featured in international “I Am Mohammed” Islamophobia exhibition
University Of Jordan — Amman, Jordan January 2012 – May 2012 Semester abroad studying Arabic language, literature and culture
SKILLS AND BACKGROUND
Languages: Fluent in English, Intermediate Arabic and Intermediate French. Basic Hindi/Urdu and Kutchi comprehension
Programs & Expertise: Dreamweaver, Audacity, Photoshop (film and digital photo), Final Cut
International Experience: American, British and Canadian citizen. Can work in U.K. Traveled extensively overseas.